한창 개발이 진행중인 새 렌더러 Appleseed 입니다.
관심을 가지게 된 이유는 순전히 예쁜 이름 때문만은 아닙니다.
렌더링 연구를 위한 목적으로 시작된 오픈 소스 렌더러로서
Physical 기반의 Unbiased Progressive 렌더러입니다.
초기 버전 답지않게 생각보다 많은 기능을 제공하고 있습니다.
Maya 및 Blender(실험버전)에서 export할 수 있는 툴을 제공한다고 합니다.
- Fully spectral rendering pipeline (31 equidistant channels in the 400-700nm range, configurable at compile-time)
- Distribution ray tracing
- Backward path tracing with or without next event estimation (explicit direct lighting)
- Forward path tracing (light tracing) with or without next event estimation
- Progressive, interactive rendering (show me)
- Multiple sampling frameworks available, configurable at compile-time:
- Pure Monte Carlo sampling (unbiased)
- Fully deterministic, low discrepancy sampling (consistent)
- Multiple importance sampling
- Camera motion blur with arbitrarily many transforms (show me, show me more)
- Ray traced deformation motion blur with arbitrary many motion segments per object (show me)
- Render layers
- Ability to use arbitrarily large textures in constant memory budget (user-settable at runtime)
- Fully automatic, transparent color space conversions at runtime
- Fully automatic, transparent gamma / inverse-gamma correction of textures and output frames
- Highly scalable multithreaded rendering
- Pinhole camera
- Thin-lens camera (depth of field)
- Perfectly diffuse, perfectly specular, Ashikhmin-Shirley and Kelemen BRDF
- Perfectly specular BTDF with Fresnel reflection (show me)
- Perfectly diffuse EDF
- Support for CIE XYZ, linear RGB, sRGB and spectral color spaces
- Mesh lights (any geometry can emit light)
- Image-based lighting, with importance sampling of latitude-longitude maps
- Support for geometry instancing (with per-instance materials)
- Support for non-physical surface shaders, and for mixing them with BSDF and EDF-based rendering
- Possibility to add cameras, BSDF, EDF, lights, shaders without touching the core
- XML project and settings files, validated at runtime via XML Schema, using industrial-strength Apache Xerces-Cparser & validator
- Clean, modern, portable C++ code with extreme emphasis on correctness, speed and readability
- 1000+ unit tests, using a modern C++ unit testing framework (show me)
- Fully automatic, highly stable and cycle-accurate unit benchmarking framework with automatic historization and visualization of performance history
- CMake-based build system
- Fully cross-platform, available on 32-bit and 64-bit variants of Mac OS X, Windows, Linux...
- Command-line interface with optional coloring (show me)
- Qt-based GUI application for interactive rendering and scene composition (show me)
- Experimental Blender-to-appleseed translator (Blenderseed)
- Maya-to-appleseed translator (Mayaseed)
- Support for geometry that doesn't fit in memory
- Fast voxel-based ambient occlusion
- Fast voxel-based volumetric smoke shader